by Staff Writers
Johannesburg (AFP) Nov 17, 2011
A high-profile lawsuit tied to a $5-billion South African arms deal was withdrawn Thursday, removing a legal hurdle to a new inquiry ordered by President Jacob Zuma.
Anti-graft campaigner Terry Crawford-Browne, who has sought for the last decade to reverse the military contracts, had filed the case seeking to force Zuma to re-open an investigation that had reached into the top levels of South African politics.
Three weeks before the Constitutional Court hearing Thursday, Zuma announced a new commission of inquiry led by three top judges.
Crawford-Browne's decision to withdraw the case removes any question that the court could review Zuma's decision, clearing the way for the new investigation to proceed.
"The applicant is granted leave to withdraw," Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng said, ordering Zuma to pay costs for the trial.
Defence attorney Hamilton Maenetje told the nine judges of country's top court that the parties had "resolved the matter".
The arms purchase has been clouded by allegations of bribery to senior government officials and blemished South Africa's young democracy.
The deal included 12 trainer Hawk jets and naval patrol boats from five European groups, including BAE systems and French arms firm Thales, which was then known as Thomson-CSF.
Swedish group Saab admitted in June that 24 million rand ($3.6 million, 2.5 million euros) in bribes had been paid to secure the South African contract, but blamed its former British partner BAE Systems for making the payoffs.
Last month, the justice minister said the new commission would have the power to subpoena witnesses including Zuma, recommend legal action against individuals involved and even cancel contracts.
The Military Industrial Complex at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Gulf arms sales vital for U.S. companies
Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UPI) Nov 15, 2011
The Pentagon's reported plan to sell the United Arab Emirates nearly 5,000 bunker-buster bombs to counter Iran is part of a move to strengthen Arab monarchies of the Persian Gulf as the U.S. withdrawal from Iraq nears completion. But it's also a lifesaver for U.S. defense contractors who're having to rely on exports to keep assembly lines running because of hefty cuts in military spendi ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|