by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) June 10, 2016
South Korea launched an operation Friday to drive out illegal Chinese fishing boats from neutral waters close to the disputed sea border with the North, in a move that could further escalate cross-border tensions.
The patrol is the first military operation in the buffer zone -- an effective no-man's land at sea -- between the two Koreas since the area was drawn up at the end of the Korean War in 1953.
Seoul has repeatedly complained to Beijing about the number of illegal Chinese trawlers fishing in the waters.
But the number of Chinese boats in the neutral waters of the Han River estuary and around the disputed sea border in the Yellow Sea has continued to surge in the absence of patrols.
"Diplomatic efforts have met their limits... We've decided to enforce restrictions in cooperation with the UNC," a South Korean military official said according to Yonhap news agency, referring to the US-led United Nations Command (UNC), which oversees the armistice that ended the 1950-53 Korean War.
"The troops carried out their first crackdown operation in the estuary area earlier in the day."
The personnel have been authorised to use force against Chinese fishing boats if they do not comply with verbal warnings to leave, the official said.
South Korea has warships and helicopters on standby, which will be deployed in the event of any skirmishes with North Korea, he added.
The was no immediate reaction from Pyongyang to the rare military patrols.
The UNC had informed the North and China of the military operation before it began.
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|