by Staff Writers
Ottawa (AFP) Oct 30, 2017
Visiting Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos on Monday condemned the killing of an indigenous leader last week by the ELN guerrillas in violation of its ceasefire with Bogota.
"Of course, we condemn the assassination as we would any assassination because to us life is the most precious thing," Santos told a joint press conference with his Canadian counterpart Justin Trudeau.
Santos said the killing would be investigated by a verification commission comprising the United Nations.
As well, he added, "we will ask the regular authorities -- the prosecutor and the justice system -- to act as necessary."
The National Liberation Army, or ELN, Colombia's last active guerrilla group, acknowledged killing the indigenous governor Aulio Isarama Forastero in the northwestern department of Choco last week.
In a statement released Sunday, the group said it had been holding Isarama under suspicion of links with "military intelligence" and apologized to his family and loved ones for killing him.
It said he was killed after he attacked a guard "with the resulting tragic outcome."
Isarama's death was the first violation of the temporary ceasefire that went into effect on October 1 and is meant to last until January 9, as the Colombian government and ELN leaders hold peace talks in Ecuador's capital, Quito.
Canada, meanwhile, committed to have Canadian police officers train Colombian authorities in an effort to bolster the ceasefire.
"We've agreed to work together to establish a bilateral police initiative," Trudeau said.
"This effort will support post-conflict policing efforts in Colombia and will see Canadian police providing training, capacity building and strategic advice to our Colombian friends."
Some Can$78 million in aid will also be invested in youth, agriculture, human rights, mine clearing, and to support for the peace process.
"Canada's support has been determining," Santos said, noting 77 projects funded by Canada that are already under way.
Washington (AFP) Oct 26, 2017
An ongoing review of air and artillery strikes found another 51 civilians were killed by the US-led coalition in Iraq and Syria, pushing the total toll to at least 786. In a statement Thursday, the coalition said that in September it completed an analysis of 127 reports of civilian deaths dating back to when international operations to defeat the Islamic State group got underway in late 2014 ... read more
Space War News
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|