Seoul says it would strike N.Korea to thwart nuclear attack
Seoul (AFP) Jan 20, 2010
South Korea would launch a pre-emptive strike against North Korea to thwart any nuclear attack by the communist state, Seoul's defence chief said Wednesday.
"We would have to strike right away if we detected a clear intention to attack (South Korea) with nuclear weapons," Defence Minister Kim Tae-Young told a forum, according to Yonhap news agency.
"It would be too late and the damage would be too big if, in the case of a North Korean nuclear attack, we had to cope with the attack."
Kim made similar remarks in 2008 when he was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
North Korea reacted angrily at the time, temporarily expelling South Korean officials from a Seoul-funded industrial park at Kaesong just north of the heavily fortified border.
International efforts to bring North Korea back to six-party nuclear disarmament talks have so far made little headway.
North Korea abandoned the talks last April, a month before defiantly conducting a second atomic bomb test following its first in 2006.
Its foreign ministry repeated Monday it would not return to the talks with the United States, China, South Korea, Russia and Japan until United Nations sanctions are lifted.
The ministry also renewed a demand for early discussions on a peace pact aimed at formally ending the 1950-1953 war.
The United States and South Korea have rejected the demands, saying the North must first come back to the disarmament talks and show it is serious about scrapping its atomic programmes.
US Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell will visit Japan and South Korea early next month to discuss regional security issues including ways to revive the six-party talks.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Seoul (AFP) Jan 19, 2010
A South Korean team held talks in North Korea Tuesday about a joint business project despite last week's threats from Pyongyang to cut contacts and launch a possible attack on its neighbour. The two sides began two days of talks to discuss ways to revitalise their jointly-run industrial estate at Kaesong just north of the border, Seoul's unification ministry said. The two sides agreed ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2009 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|