by Staff Writers
Istanbul (AFP) Oct 27, 2011
Turkey's defence minister said Thursday a major operation launched against Kurdish rebels in retaliation for an attack that killed 24 soldiers had ended, Anatolia news agency reported.
"Other than our normal routine struggle against terror, the operation in Kazan valley that was started after the Cukurca attack is over. But our normal struggle against terror is ongoing," Anatolia quoted Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz as saying.
The army last week announced that they initiated an extensive ground operation supported with air strikes "in five different spots" both inside the country in southeast Turkey and across the Iraqi border.
It was not immediately clear from the minister's remarks whether operations had ended all five spots.
The operations involved 22 battalions, but the army did not specify the number of troops dispatched to Iraq.
Commanders of the operation in Kazan valley, including the chief of the general staff Necdet Ozel, are returning from the region, Yilmaz told reporters in Ankara.
Geographically the valley extends between Hakkari province in southeastern Turkey and northern Iraq.
The army operation came after the rebels of Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in a series of coordinated attacks killed 24 soldiers and injured 18 others in Cukurca town of Hakkari province near the Iraqi border on Wednesday last week.
The latest attack of the PKK caused the biggest loss for the army since 1993, when the PKK rebels killed 33 unarmed soldiers.
Clashes between the PKK and the army have escalated since the summer.
The PKK listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey and much of the international community took up arms for Kurdish independence in southeastern Turkey in 1984, sparking a conflict that has claimed some 45,000 lives.
Turkey's last ground incursion into northern Iraq, an autonomous Kurdish region, was in February 2008, when the army struck against the Zap region.
News From Across The Stans
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Pakistan mourns death of Nusrat Bhutto
Islamabad, Pakistan (UPI) Oct 25, 2011
Pakistan has entered 10 days of mourning after burying Nusrat Bhutto, mother of assassinated former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and a doyenne of the country's tumultuous political establishment. Thousands of mourners led by President Asif Ali Zardari - Benazir Bhutto's husband - turned out for the burial in the family's ancestral town of Garhi Khuda Bakhsh in the Larkana District in ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|