Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



NUKEWARS
US locked in 'slow-going' talks with China on N.Korea sanctions
By Carole LANDRY
United Nations, United States (AFP) July 19, 2017


Despite a push to quickly slap new UN sanctions on North Korea, the United States is bogged down in "slow-going" negotiations with China on a response to Pyongyang's first ICBM launch, diplomats said Wednesday.

US Ambassador Nikki Haley told the Security Council two weeks ago that she would present "in the coming days" a draft sanctions resolution to confront what she described as a "clear and sharp military escalation."

The United States promptly opened negotiations with China, North Korea's main ally and fellow permanent council member, to agree on possible new measures such as cutting off oil supplies, banning North Korean guest workers or imposing new air and maritime restrictions.

Those talks are "still going on," a Security Council diplomat said. "There has not been any breakthrough despite a push by the United States in particular to do it more quickly than usual."

"It's fairly slow-going," said the diplomat, who asked not to be named. Four other UN diplomats confirmed that the negotiations were moving at a slow pace.

Asked whether there was progress in negotiations, China's Ambassador Liu Jieyi told AFP "not yet" and said he did not expect agreement on a draft resolution any time soon. "It's a complicated issue," he added.

One complicating factor has been Russia's contention that the July 4 launch was not an intercontinental ballistic missile, despite North Korea's claim that it had achieved that milestone in its military program.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un described the launch as a "gift" to Americans as they prepared to celebrate Independence Day and hailed a breakthrough in Pyongyang's decades-long drive to develop the capability to threaten the US mainland with a nuclear strike.

Russia maintains that its defense ministry had determined, based on its tracking systems, that the missile was in fact of medium range.

Russia's arguments challenge the US view that the stronger sanctions are necessary to confront the more dangerous threat posed by North Korea's newly-acquired ICBM capacity.

- US shows evidence of ICBM launch -

On Monday, Haley invited all council ambassadors along with South Korea to a meeting at which US evidence was shared about the launch, refuting Russia's claims that it was an ICBM, diplomats said.

The missile launched by North Korea "was almost certainly an ICBM, capable of achieving a range in excess of 5,500 kilometers. We have high confidence in this assessment," said a spokesperson for the British mission.

Ukrainian Ambassador Volodymyr Yelchenko, who attended the briefing, said Russia's envoy was not convinced by the US evidence and that the Chinese ambassador "did not say a word."

While Russia contends that the launch was not an ICBM, China is "slipping behind that as a way of not definitively saying that now is the right time for a resolution," said a Security Council diplomat.

A spokesman at the US mission declined to give details of the evidence presented at the meeting. "The United States continues to work toward a resolution that will address the escalation" from the ICBM launch, he said.

At an emergency council meeting following the launch, Russia argued that sanctions were not the answer to rein in North Korea, and that talks, as advocated by Beijing, were needed.

It remains unclear if the United States will become impatient and put forward a sanctions resolution that could be vetoed by either China or Russia.

Such a move would clear the way for US unilateral sanctions against Chinese and Russian firms that continue to trade with North Korea.

In all, six sets of UN sanctions have been imposed on North Korea since it first tested an atomic device in 2006, but two resolutions adopted last year significantly toughened the sanctions regime.

NUKEWARS
S. Korea seeks rare talks with North to ease military tensions
Seoul (AFP) July 17, 2017
South Korea on Monday offered to hold rare military talks with North Korea, aiming to ease tensions after Pyongyang tested its first intercontinental ballistic missile. The offer of talks, the first since South Korea elected dovish President Moon Jae-In, came as the Red Cross in Seoul proposed a separate meeting to discuss reunions of families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War. The Sou ... read more

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

NUKEWARS
Lockheed awarded $130.3 million contract for Patriot missile foreign sales

US deploys Patriots in Lithuania for NATO war games

San Diego 'likely' in range of N.Korea ICBM in 2 years: US monitor

US conducts successful missile intercept test amid NKorea tensions

NUKEWARS
New anti-ship missile tipped for Japanese fighters

Lockheed receives $37.7M contract for JASSM-ER missile development

Stratospheric Combat: Russian MiG-31 Intercepts, Destroys Supersonic Missile

UK Eurofighter Typhoon successfully fires MDBA Brimstone missile

NUKEWARS
Leonardo DRS, Moog receive counter-UAS weapons contract

Singapore offers Manila drones, urban warfare training

Explotrain develops drone-simulated IED training system

New Reaper drone variant performs first combat mission

NUKEWARS
First UAVs, Now Ships - Connectivity for the next generation of remote naval operations

Northrop Grumman receives Australian satellite ground station contract

DISA extends Comtech satellite services to Marines

Harris Corp. awarded Special Forces radio contract

NUKEWARS
Nigeria starts receiving armored vehicles from Streit

LOC Performance receives $49.1 million Bradley upgrade contract

Rheinmetall enhancing Puma IFV for German Army

Orbital ATK shows ammo development for MK44 gun

NUKEWARS
Raytheon lobbyist to be nominated for Army secretary

DSCA approves Super Hornet upgrades, tank ammunition for Australia

Kelvin Hughes to be sold to Hensoldt

Defense spending by European NATO countries to rise in 2017

NUKEWARS
Chinese ships heading for joint exercises with Russia in the Baltic Sea

NATO, Jordan mark establishment of new cybersecurity team

India says it has international backing in border dispute with China

China 'aggressive' in border row, says India diplomat

NUKEWARS
New material resembling a metal nanosponge could reduce computer energy consumption

How do you build a metal nanoparticle?

Nanostructures taste the rainbow

Chemists perform surgery on nanoparticles




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News






The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement