Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .




THE STANS
US may send additional troops to Afghanistan next year
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Nov 25, 2014


The US military likely will keep a slightly larger force in Afghanistan in 2015 than first planned and American troops will have authority to come to the aid of Afghan forces if necessary, officials said Tuesday.

The United States may have to deploy hundreds of additional forces in coming months, beyond the 9,800-strong contingent announced previously, because of a shortfall in troop contributions from NATO members, defense officials told AFP.

Commanders were still working out the details but there was a shortage of roughly 400 to 700 NATO troops that would need to be filled temporarily by US forces through the winter months of 2015, said a defense official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"This is just to bridge the gap," the official said.

The shortfall was a result of the delayed signing of a bilateral security agreement this year between Washington and Kabul, which also complicated deals with other NATO countries to deploy troops to Afghanistan starting next year.

The post-2014 NATO mission calls for 12,500 troops to remain on the ground starting in January, with about 2,700 non-US forces.

Military officers had indicated earlier this month to AFP that the postponed signing of the US-Afghan security agreement due to a protracted electoral dispute had raised doubts about whether allied governments could have arrangements in place for troops to deploy by 2015.

-- Revised combat mission -

The change in troop drawdown plans came as President Barack Obama's administration revised the parameters of the mission for American troops next year.

Obama had said the US combat mission in the country will end this year as the bulk of the NATO force withdraws, with remaining troops focused on training Afghan soldiers and targeting Al-Qaeda militants.

But US national security officials last week decided that American forces would be permitted to take action to help Afghan army and police in battles with the Taliban insurgency.

Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said that "should members of the Taliban decide to threaten American troops or specifically target or threaten our Afghan partners in a tactical situation, we're going to reserve the right to take action as needed."

Both the Pentagon and the State Department insisted the mission had not been expanded in any way, but officials acknowledged privately that the question of combat support for Afghan troops had remained unresolved.

The New York Times first reported the move over the weekend.

Under the decision, commanders would have the authority to call in air strikes or medical evacuations for Afghan forces in dire situations, officials said.

The commander in Kabul would have the power to decide whether to intervene to back up Afghan army and police to "prevent detrimental strategic effects," the official said.

Officials declined to offer details of the operational rules, which they said were classified to avoid giving an advantage to insurgents.

The decision had been signaled in earlier comments by senior US commanders in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan.

Lieutenant General Joseph Anderson, head of ISAF joint command, told reporters via video link earlier this month that US warplanes starting in 2015 probably would back up Afghan forces in the future only "in extremis" or "catastrophic" situations.

Having relied heavily in the past on American air power in battles with Taliban insurgents, Afghan troops and their fledgling air force will now face a tough test in their campaign against the militants.

There are currently 16,100 US troops in Afghanistan, down from a peak of more than 100,000 in 2010.

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





THE STANS
US condemns IS bombing in Kurdish region of Iraq
Washington (AFP) Nov 19, 2014
The United States on Wednesday condemned a suicide bombing by Islamic State extremists in the usually safe Kurdish region of Iraq that killed at least four people and left more than two dozen injured. "The United States strongly condemns the continued terrorist attacks in Iraq, including the suicide car bomb attacks today in Basrah and the Iraqi Kurdistan Region in front of the Arbil Provinc ... read more


THE STANS
U.S Navy sending Aegis-equipped destroyers to Japan

U.S. holds test on Aegis tracking capability

Russia to Create Space-Based Ballistic Missile Warning System

LockMart and NGC Deliver Payload for Fourth SBIRS Satellite

THE STANS
The fear and the chaos of a missile attack in east Ukraine

Elbit's anti-missile system to feature on German A400M transports

Destroyer simultaneously fires SM-2 and SM-3 missiles

Air Force orders more Paveway II Plus guided bomb kits

THE STANS
Law firm forms unit for civilian UAV issues

US can pursue 'reckless' drone flyers, panel rules

New Global Hawk support contract for Northrop Grumman

Altavian Inc., Lockheed Martin providing sensor payload to Army

THE STANS
Harris Corporation supplying Falcon III radios to Canadian military

GenDyn Canada contracted to connect military to WGS system

Northrop Grumman continues Joint STARS sustainment services

Harris Corporation opens engineering support facility

THE STANS
Air Force orders additional programmable bomb fuzes

US delivers anti-mortar radars to Ukraine: Pentagon

Marines get counter-IED training from A-T Solutions

Raytheon touts its Agile software development process

THE STANS
Pentagon chief Hagel out as IS war heats up

Nammo subsidiary buying Patria ammunition facility

Greece asks U.S. to continue sustainment support for its F-16s

U.S. lowers surcharge on Foreign Military Sales program contracts

THE STANS
China calls for release of fishermen convicted in Philippines

China blasts 'irresponsible' US comments on island project

China defence minister brushes off fears over military growth

China Military Advance in South China Sea to Test US Outreach

THE STANS
UO-industry collaboration points to improved nanomaterials

Penn engineers efficiently 'mix' light at the nanoscale

On-demand conductivity for graphene nanoribbons

Measuring nano-vibrations




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.