Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .




Subscribe free to our newsletters via your




















CYBER WARS
US military cyber head questions Beijing's spying activities
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) April 5, 2016


China's ZTE names new boss to try to shake off US curbs
Beijing (AFP) April 5, 2016 - Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE Tuesday announced a new president as it seeks the permanent lifting of US restrictions imposed for alleged violations of sanctions against Iran.

Shi Lirong, in place since 2010, will be replaced by Zhao Xianming who will also become board chairman, the firm said in a statement to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

Zhao was previously chief technology officer.

Tian Wenguo and Qiu Weizhao were replaced as executive vice presidents.

China's second-biggest telecoms equipment maker is trying to shake off the US restrictions imposed on ZTE and three linked companies last month.

The US says they illicitly re-exported controlled items from the United States to sanctioned countries including Iran.

The curbs require ZTE to have specific licences before shipping US-made items to the parent company or the other three named firms.

According to documents published by the US Department of Commerce, Tian and Qiu were in charge of ZTE's plans to allegedly avoid the US export rules starting from 2011, by setting up shell companies to circumvent the US sanctions, the Wall Street Journal has reported.

The newspaper added that as part of a deal between the US Department of Commerce and ZTE to temporarily remove the sanctions, the company executives involved in the alleged violations should be removed from senior roles.

Washington in January eased several restrictions on doing business with Iran following an international agreement over its nuclear programme.

But sanctions linked to accusations that Tehran supports terrorism remain in force, still largely blocking US companies from doing business with Iran.

ZTE has customers in more than 160 countries.

Six months after Washington and Beijing agreed not to conduct cyber attacks on each other's private sector for commercial gain, a top US spy questioned Tuesday whether China has cut such activities.

In September 2015, President Barack Obama and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping announced an accord under which neither the United States nor the Chinese government would conduct cyber-enabled theft of intellectual property.

But Admiral Michael Rogers, who heads the US military's Cyber Command, told lawmakers it was unclear if the Chinese government was holding up its end of the deal.

"We continue to see them engaged in activity directed against US companies. The question I think we still need to ask is, is that activity then in turn shared with the Chinese private industry?" Rogers told the Senate Armed Services Committee in Washington.

He acknowledged nations -- including the United States -- routinely use cyber to "gain access or knowledge" but suggested American spy agencies don't share insights with the private sector.

"The ... issue we've always had with the Chinese is while we understand we do that for nations to generate insight, using that then to generate economic advantage is not something that is acceptable to the US," he said, later adding the "jury is still out" on whether China indeed passes intel to the business world.

The US Cyber Command is charged with protecting America's military and some of its major civilian networks from attacks, as well as deploying its own offensive cyber strategies if needed.

By 2018, it will have more than 6,000 military and civilian technical experts working across 133 teams, Rogers said.

One such team, comprising about 65 people, today works in the Middle East and carries out cyber operations against the Islamic State group's networks.

"USCYBERCOM is executing orders to make it more difficult for ISIL to plan or conduct attacks against the US or our allies from their bases in Iraq and Syria to keep our service men and women safer as they conduct kinetic operations to degrade, dismantle, and ultimately destroy ISIL," Rogers told lawmakers, using an IS acronym.

The Pentagon pans to spend a total of $6.7 billion in the 2017 budget -- up 15.5 percent from the previous year. In all, the Pentagon is projected to spend $34.6 billion over the coming five years.

Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only

.


Related Links
Cyberwar - Internet Security News - Systems and Policy Issues






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Previous Report
CYBER WARS
China's ZTE executives to step down amid US sanctions row
Beijing (AFP) April 05, 2016
Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE will replace three top executives, the WSJ reported, in an apparent bid to see US restrictions on its business lifted after it was accused of violating sanctions against Iran. Washington slapped restrictions on ZTE and three linked companies last month for illicitly re-exporting controlled items from the United States to sanctioned countries, including Ir ... read more


CYBER WARS
S. Korea, US open missile shield talks

Israeli Air Force deploying 'David's Sling' missile defense system

US Missile Defense Outdated

China Interfering in THAAD Deployment Decision Process Preposterous

CYBER WARS
Marines receive fixed-wing rocket system variant

New army launcher successfully fires Hellfire, Sidewinder missiles

India acquiring Stinger missiles for its new helicopters

Lockheed Martin resumes production of TACMS missiles

CYBER WARS
Gremlins takes flight to provide air-recoverable unmanned air systems

Filling the gap at Air Force Reserve

Drones promise to improve ecological monitoring

Pentagon, Other Federal Agencies Use Drones for Domestic Surveillance

CYBER WARS
Harris supplies tactical radios to African country

In-orbit delivery of Laos' 1st satellite launched

Upgrade set for Britain's tactical communications system

Airbus continues operating German military satellites

CYBER WARS
Sweden upgrading Leopard 2 tanks

Pentagon announces new push for 'smart' fabrics

Souped-Up Nona-S Mortar System to Join Russian Troops Soon

Kalashnikov looks to civilian market to boost sales

CYBER WARS
Military spending rises again in 2015

Airbus to sell defence electronics arm to KKR for $1.2 billion

Lockheed Martin plans voluntary layoffs for 1,000

Defense Industry center opens in South Australia

CYBER WARS
US-Philippine war games begin as China warns 'outsiders'

NATO to switch 'assurance to deterrence' in E. Europe: US general

US to station armored brigade in eastern Europe from 2017: Pentagon

Obama defends NATO as a 'lynchpin'

CYBER WARS
Nanocrystal self-assembly sheds its secrets

Organic nanowires leave manmade technologies in the dust

Nanocage surfaces get 'makeover' in room temperature

Nanolight at the edge




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News






The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement