Free Newsletters - Space News - Defense Alert - Environment Report - Energy Monitor
. Military Space News .




THE STANS
US says kit removal from Afghanistan to cost $5-6 bn
by Staff Writers
Kabul (AFP) March 31, 2013


NATO airstrike kills two Afghan children: officials
Ghazni, Afghanistan (AFP) March 30, 2013 - A NATO helicopter strike killed two children in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, officials said, in the latest civilian casualties to beset the coalition's war against Taliban militants.

The operation close to Ghazni city was conducted after local people complained of a Taliban post targeting traffic convoys in the area, Mohammad Ali Ahmadi, the deputy governor of Ghazni province, said.

"It was a joint (Afghan and coalition) operation conducted this morning that killed nine Taliban. Unfortunately, two school children were also killed and seven other civilians were wounded," he said.

A spokesman for the NATO's International Security Assistance Force said it was aware of the reported civilian casualties and was seeking further information.

However he added that the ISAF helicopter engagement was not in direct support of Afghan forces, without giving further details.

It was unclear who called in the airstrike, but President Hamid Karzai recently banned Afghan forces from requesting foreign air support.

Civilian casualties mostly caused by air strikes have been one of the most sensitive issues in relations between Karzai and the NATO-led military.

The civilians were riding in two vehicles near the Taliban post when the attack took place, Mohammad Hassan Hadil, the deputy police chief of the province, said.

The deaths, if confirmed, would be another blow to the prestige of US-led NATO forces as they prepare to withdraw combat troops from the war against the Islamist insurgents by the end of next year.

Airstrikes by the US-led coalition killed 126 Afghan civilians last year, a nearly 50 percent drop from the year before, according to a recent UN report.

The overall civilian death toll in 2012 also declined some 12 percent to 2,754, compared with 3,131 the previous year, according to the annual report by the United Nations Mission to Afghanistan.

Four civilians, including a child, were killed in a two-day raid against Taliban insurgents by Afghan and international forces in Logar province earlier this week.

The US operation to remove military hardware and vehicles from Afghanistan as troops withdraw after 12 years of war will cost between five and six billion dollars, officials said Sunday.

Among statistics released by the military about the process known as a "retrograde" was that 25,000 vehicles have been shipped out of Afghanistan in the last year and another 25,000 remain in the country.

About 100,000 containers are also still in Afghanistan, and will be used to remove mountains of equipment ranging from fighting gear to fitness machines, furniture and computers.

"The retrograde from Afghanistan is one of the most challenging military transportation operations in history in terms of scale and complexity," Brigadier General Steven Shapiro said in an email.

"Our number of vehicles in Afghanistan has dropped by nearly half in the past year."

Shapiro, the commanding general of 1st Theater Sustainment Command, said decisions were being made on what equipment was left for the Afghan army and police to take on the fight against Taliban insurgents.

"Ground commanders are able to nominate this equipment as they assess the needs and maintenance capabilities of their Afghan partners and numbers will vary," he said.

"The figures of five to six billion dollars corresponds to the total cost of retrograde from 2012 through 2014, and they're constantly being reevaluated."

Most of the hardware will be flown out of land-locked Afghanistan or taken by road to the Pakistani port of Karachi, though the route has been hit by militant attacks and was temporarily closed by spats between Washington and Islamabad.

US hands over Afghan district after 'abuse' row
Kabul (AFP) March 30, 2013 - The US military pulled out of a strategic district in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday as part of a deal with President Hamid Karzai, who alleged that soldiers had mistreated locals.

Karzai had at first accused Afghan militia working with elite US units of torturing and murdering civilians, but later changed his allegations to focus on unproven claims of "harassment" by American troops.

The president issued an ultimatum that US commandos leave the province of Wardak, a key region close to the capital Kabul, raising concern that the pullout would create a major security opening for Taliban insurgents.

A compromise deal was reached in which US troops would leave Nerkh, one of Wardak's eight districts, as the US and Karzai tried to smooth over a series of damaging public rows.

"Our forces have transitioned Nerkh district to Afghan National Security Forces and they have now assumed full responsibility for security in this key district," General Joseph Dunford, commander of the US-led coalition, said.

"The rest of Wardak will continue to transition over time as Afghan forces continue to grow in capability and capacity," he added in an emailed statement.

Relations between Karzai and Washington were badly frayed recently as the bulk of NATO's combat soldiers get ready to leave by the end of next year.

The United States, which provides 66,000 of the 100,000 total troop deployment, was stunned by Karzai's accusations earlier this month that the US worked in concert with the Taliban to justify its presence in the country.

The Afghan president's spokesman also described the coalition war effort against the Taliban as "aimless and unwise".

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





THE STANS
Afghan army cancels Pakistan visit over 'shelling'
Kabul (AFP) March 27, 2013
Afghanistan on Wednesday cancelled a planned army visit to Pakistan to protest against alleged cross border shelling, the latest sign of deteriorating relations between the troubled neighbours. The Pakistani army invited 11 Afghan officers to take part in a military exercise and drill in the southwestern city of Quetta, the Afghan foreign ministry said. "This visit will no longer take pl ... read more


THE STANS
Northrop Grumman AN/TPS-80 G/ATOR Radar System Demonstrates Ballistic Missile Defense Capability

EAPS Completes Miniature Hit-To-Kill Interceptor Flight Test

Israel: Iron Dome shootdown rate disputed

White House: no Patriot missiles in Syria

THE STANS
Taiwan to aim 50 medium-range missiles at China: report

India's Nirbhay missile aborted in flight

Taiwan develops medium-range missile: report

US Newest Missile Warning Satellite Encapsulated in Launch Vehicle Payload Fairing

THE STANS
US Congress hears calls for drone safeguards

'Journalism drones' on the horizon

N. Korean leader watches 'drone' attack drill: KCNA

Friend or foe? Civilian drones stir debate

THE STANS
Soldiers and Families Can Suffer Negative Effects from Modern Communication Technologies

DARPA Seeks More Robust Military Wireless Networks

DoD Selects Northrop Grumman for Joint Command and Control System

Northrop Grumman Highlights Affordable Milspace Communications

THE STANS
Nanofoams could create better body armor

NGC Offers New High-Resolution Sensors for Hawk Air Defense System

Seven killed in Marine Corps training accident

UN staring down a barrel over arms treaty

THE STANS
Commentary: Russia's Treasure Island

India: Tejas must be operational by 2014

Iran, N. Korea, Syria block arms trade treaty

Libya 'plans to spend $4.7B on defense'

THE STANS
Three Chinese ships enter disputed waters: Japan

Japan seeks Mongolia support in China island row

Taiwan adds new ships to patrol disputed islands

Putin orders surprise Black Sea military exercises

THE STANS
Imaging methodology reveals nano details not seen before

Glass-blowers at a nano scale

Nanoparticles show promise as inexpensive, durable and effective scintillators

Scientists develop innovative twists to DNA nanotechnology




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement