. Military Space News .

US warns Sri Lanka on war crime charges
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) June 28, 2011

The United States on Tuesday urged Sri Lanka to move quickly to address allegations of war crimes, warning of rising pressure for international action if it does not.

The State Department stopped short of endorsing calls for an international investigation into the bloody finale of the island's civil war in 2009, saying that domestic authorities have primary responsibility to ensure accountability.

"We continue to urge the government of Sri Lanka to quickly demonstrate that it is able and willing to meet these obligations as it seeks reconciliation," a State Department statement said.

"We hope the Sri Lankans will themselves do this, but if they do not, there will be growing pressure from the international community to examine other options," it said.

Pressure has mounted on Sri Lanka since Britain's Channel 4 broadcast a documentary that showed what it said were prisoner executions and bodies of female Tamil fighters who appeared to have been sexually assaulted.

The United Nations has said that up to 7,000 civilians were killed in the final months of the fighting and a recent UN report accused government forces of executing rebel leaders who were said to have worked out a surrender.

An estimated 100,000 people were killed in the nearly four-decade-long Tamil separatist conflict, which began in 1972.

Sri Lanka's government has questioned the authenticity of the Channel 4 footage but said that a local panel, known as the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission, would take action if the allegations are proven.

The documentary also pointed to abuses by the Tamil Tigers, who were known for suicide bombings during their decades-long insurgency. Sri Lankan officials said the Tigers kept civilians as human shields during the final offensive.

With urging from the Tamil diaspora, a number of US lawmakers have called for the State Department to exert greater pressure on Sri Lanka.

In Britain, Foreign Office minister Alistair Burt recently warned that the international community would revisit "all options available" to press Colombo over its rights record.

Related Links
The Long War - Doctrine and Application

Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries

China urges ICC caution after Kadhafi warrant
Beijing (AFP) June 28, 2011 - China on Tuesday called on the International Criminal Court (ICC) to be "prudent" and "just", after the Hague-based court issued a war crimes arrest warrant for Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi.

"China hopes that the ICC will adopt a prudent, objective and just attitude when assuming its responsibilities to make sure its work will be conducive to peace and stability in the region," foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.

The ICC issued warrants Monday for Kadhafi, and also for his son Seif al-Islam and the head of Libyan intelligence for atrocities committed in a bloody uprising that began mid-February.

ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo sought the warrants as thousands died in fighting and an estimated 650,000 people fled the country with Kadhafi clinging to power despite NATO strikes easing the siege of key rebel cities.

China consistently opposes moves deemed to interfere in the affairs of other countries. Hong on Tuesday reiterated calls for the Libyan crisis to be resolved politically through "peaceful talks."

Beijing, however, last week recognised Libya's opposition as an "important dialogue partner" after talks in the Chinese capital between foreign minister Yang Jiechi and senior rebel leader Mahmud Jibril.

China is currently hosting Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir, who is wanted by the ICC for alleged genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity that occurred in Sudan's western Darfur region.

Hong said Tuesday that Beijing "always disapproves of violence against civilians."

. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Filipino military upgrades against threats
Manila, Philippines (UPI) Jun 27, 2011
The Philippine air force intends to purchase additional aircraft and upgraded radar systems by 2016. The new equipment is projected to cost more than $320 million, or over a third of $916 million promised by the administration of President Benigno Aquino to enhance the military's capability to protect the country's maritime resources and territorial integrity, the Manila Bulletin report ... read more

Israel to join U.S. Mideast missile shield

Raytheon gets $1.7 billion Patriot deal

Raytheon to Upgrade Patriot for Saudi Arabia

Yanukovych says 'no' to missile defense

Raytheon Breaks Ground for Standard Missile Production Factory

Raytheon Delivers Patriot GEM-T Test Missiles for UAE

NASAMS Live-Fire exercise a success

Iran to stage missile wargames from Monday

Pakistan tells US to leave 'drone' attack base

Iran says it showed Russia downed US drones

Boeing Receives UCLASS Study Contract from US Navy

Helicopter lost over Libya is new US drone: officials

Spain aims at military-civilian satellites

Network Integration Tests Aim to Reduce 'Fog of War'

Raytheon Receives US Navy Contract to Support Satellite Communication System

Firebird Uses Three Eyes and Fourth Sensor Payload

Boeing Supports USAF Launch of Miniature Air Launched Decoy

US Army Awards Raytheon contract to Complete Excalibur Ib Development

Oshkosh to Showcase M-ATV Tactical Ambulance

US Army Awards contract to Begin Work on Additional Persistent Threat Detection Systems

Australia plots biggest post-war military sale

The Russian Defence Market 2011-2021

Chavez's health an issue for arms deals

IAI gets new chief amid privatization bid

Outside View: Osama's perverted legacy

Commentary: Vietnam redux

Walker's World: China's soft-power hurdle

NATO allies must pool funds or face decline: Gates

Raytheon Acquires Directed Energy Capabilities of Ktech Corporation

MLD Test Moves Navy A Step Closer To Lasers For Ship Self-Defense

US Navy And Northrop Grumman Accomplish Goals For At-Sea Demonstration Of Maritime Laser

Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement