SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Belgian army disbands platoon over violent hazing
Brussels, Belgium, March 14 (AFP) Mar 14, 2024
Belgium's defence ministry said Thursday it was disbanding a platoon of 30 soldiers over the squad's violent and humiliating hazing rituals.

"This is a serious decision and a unique problem in the recent history of the Belgian military," army chief Admiral Michel Hofman said at a press conference in Brussels.

Alongside Hofman, Minister of Defence Ludivine Dedonder described the behaviour as "unacceptable" and "in no way compatible with the values of the military".

An investigation was launched internally in November when a relative of a victim emailed Dedonder.

She said there was "humiliating and degrading treatment" including "battery and assault" and "harassment" with "threats, pressure and blackmail".

The officials said the hazing took place in a platoon within the 4th Engineer Battalion based in eastern Belgium and dated to 2021 according to preliminary evidence.

Investigations will seek to establish who was responsible among the "few dozen" people involved, who were pressured to keep quiet about it, Dedonder said.

"We are in a situation where perpetrators, victims and witnesses are mixed up," the minister said.

Hofman said the harassment took place during training. The officials gave no details of the acts but there was so far no indication of sexual or racist violence.

Some soldiers have been dismissed while others have been transferred but disciplinary measures will depend on the progress of the investigations, Hofman said.

"It takes time to put this puzzle together," he said.

Dedonder called on all Belgian soldiers, especially young recruits, to report any problematic behaviour they witness in the army.


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.