SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Sudan army chief rejects 'interference' after Russia UN veto
Port Sudan, Sudan, Nov 19 (AFP) Nov 19, 2024
Sudan's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan on Tuesday rejected "any foreign interference" in the country's war, a day after Russia vetoed a UN Security Council resolution calling for a ceasefire.

Speaking at an economic conference in Port Sudan, Burhan dismissed "dictates aimed at forcing solutions upon us that we do not accept" and praised Russia's "supportive stance".

He said his government had "never agreed" to the draft resolution, which sought to end the war between his army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces led by his former deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo.

The war, which erupted in April 2023, has killed tens of thousands and uprooted more than 11 million people, creating what the UN has called the world's largest displacement crisis.

The Security Council's draft, prepared by Britain and Sierra Leone, called on both sides to "immediately cease hostilities" and begin talks on a national ceasefire.

"This flawed decision... violated our sovereignty and failed to meet our demands," Burhan said Tuesday.

Successive mediation efforts, including by the United States, Saudi Arabia and the African Union, have failed to secure a ceasefire.

Experts say both the army and the RSF have resisted peace efforts as they seek a military advantage.

On Tuesday, Burhan said the army would not negotiate or agree to a ceasefire without a "full retreat" by the RSF.

"The end of this war lies in the complete elimination of the rebels," he said, adding that only then could civilian life resume, aid flow to all Sudanese and only and political matters be addressed.

Last month, UN experts accused both sides of using "starvation tactics" against 26 million civilians, as aid groups warned of a "historic" hunger crisis forcing families to eat leaves and insects.


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.