SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Swiss govt wants to lift ban on more nuclear power plants
Geneva, Dec 20 (AFP) Dec 20, 2024
Switzerland's government said Friday it wanted to change the law to get around a 2018 ban on building more nuclear power stations to help guarantee the country's energy needs.

"The aim is to keep nuclear energy open as an option for the long-term security of the Swiss energy supply," said a statement from the Federal Council.

It had begun consultations with local authorities, political parties and unions, it added.

The idea was to have an alternative on hand in case renewable energies could not be expanded to the required extent, and no climate-friendly alternatives were available.

The government explained its decision to go back on the ban on further nuclear development by referring to changed circumstances, including "Russia's military aggression against Ukraine".

It added: "The looming Europe-wide electricity shortage in 2022/23 has shown that Switzerland's dependence on electricity imports in winter represents a risk."

Developing renewable energy sources nevertheless remained a priority, it added.

The government's position has already been rejected by the left, as well as anti-nuclear and environmental groups.

But it was welcomed by the country's Association of Electricity Businesses (AES).

The Swiss approved the gradual phase-out of nuclear power following a 2017 referendum, banning the construction of new power plants.

That law was the result of a long process initiated after the 2011 Fukushima nuclear accident in Japan, triggered by a tsunami.

But it still has four, ageing nuclear reactors in service.

Earlier this month, Switzerland announced that its oldest nuclear plant, Beznau, would be kept running until 2033, ignoring arguments from environmentalists that it should be shut down immediately. It began operating in 1969.

Beznau 2, which opened in 1971, will shut down in 2032.

The other two nuclear power plants, Goesgen and Leibstadt, came into service in 1979 and 1984 respectively.

Greenpeace has been campaigning for the two Beznau reactors to be shut down immediately.

vog/jj/rlp

AES CORPORATION


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.