SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
North Korea launches probe into warship launch accident
Seoul, May 23 (AFP) May 23, 2025
North Korea has begun an investigation into an accident that occurred during the launch of a new warship this week, state media said Friday, assessing the damage as "not serious".

North Korea said Thursday that "a serious accident occurred" at the Wednesday launch ceremony for the newly built 5,000-ton naval destroyer, in which sections of the bottom of the vessel were crushed -- with leader Kim Jong Un calling the mishap a "criminal act".

South Korea's military said US and Seoul intelligence authorities assessed that North Korea's "side-launch attempt" of the ship failed, and the vessel was left listing in the water.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), however, said Friday that an "underwater and internal inspection of the warship confirmed that, unlike the initial announcement, there were no holes made at the warship's bottom".

"The hull starboard was scratched and a certain amount of seawater flowed into the stern section through the rescue channel," according to KCNA.

The extent of damage to the vessel was "not serious", it said, adding it was "necessary to make clear the cause of the accident".

The North on Thursday had blamed "inexperienced command and operational carelessness" for the destroyer's botched launch, which was observed by Kim who called it a "criminal act caused by absolute carelessness".

Hong Kil Ho, the manager of the shipyard in the eastern port city of Chongjin where the accident took place, was summoned by law enforcement on Thursday, KCNA said on Friday.

Experts estimated it would take "two or three days to keep the balance of the warship by pumping up the seawater from the flooded chamber", the report said.

It would take around 10 days to restore the destroyer's side, it added.

Based on its size and scale, the South Korean military said the newly built warship is believed to be similarly equipped to the 5,000-ton destroyer-class vessel, Choe Hyon, which North Korea unveiled last month.

North Korea has claimed the Choe Hyon was equipped with the "most powerful weapons", and that it would "enter into operation early next year".

Seoul's military has said the Choe Hyon could have been developed with Russian help -- possibly in exchange for Pyongyang deploying thousands of troops to help Moscow fight Ukraine.

Analysts say the warship involved in Wednesday's accident may have also been constructed with Russian assistance.


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.