. Military Space News .




.
ENERGY TECH
Chinese exodus leaves behind Libya ghost town
by Staff Writers
Benghazi, Libya (AFP) June 15, 2011

Hundreds of cement mixers, cranes, and forklifts stand silent on a massive construction site among grey buildings left unfinished when Chinese workers abandoned Libya as fighting flared.

The "New Benghazi" project which employed 11,000 came to an abrupt halt when the builders, China State Construction Engineering Corporation, evacuated its workers as an anti-regime uprising broke out in mid-February.

China has significant commercial interests in Libya including oil, railway and telecoms projects.

But the Asian economic powerhouse was forced to evacuate more than 35,000 migrant workers from the North African country in the largest such overseas operation ever undertaken by Beijing.

"Within three days, at the onset of the revolution, they were all gone by boat," said rebel official Nuri Ahmad, referring to the Chinese migrant workers.

Ahmad has been entrusted by the Benghazi-based opposition National Transitional Council (NTC) with taking over the project and turning the ghost town into a viable city on the edges of the Mediterranean Sea.

According to the plans drafted by the Chinese builders, "New Benghazi" was expected to house more than 150,000 people and comprise more than 200 four-storey buildings, as well as schools, hospitals, football fields and basketball courts and eight mosques.

The mammoth project spread across 1,770 hectares (about 4,375 acres) and included vast green areas. In all there were to have been 20,000 housing units.

Ahmad said the NTC, which is now overseeing the project, hopes to start handing out the first apartments from September.

But Ahmad, who receives visitors in an office located on so-called Beijing Street, is unable to give the cost of the project on which the Chinese had been working for the past three years.

"I have no idea how much the housing units will cost," he said.

The Libyan regime of strongman Moamer Kadhafi had been financing the cost of the project.

The Chinese constructors were paid "in several ways with oil money."

When the uprising against Kadhafi's regime broke out in mid-February, China evacuated its workers and suspended all its projects in Libya.

In the first weeks of the uprising against Kadhafi, the "New Benghazi" was caught in the crossfire of the fighting between opponents and loyalists of the regime.

Several buildings now stand as testimony to the violence.

Many have broken windows, others have been peppered with rocket fire.

Five hundred Libyans worked on the site alongside the 11,000 Chinese.

Libyan Ibrahim el-Mismari drove a crane but now he has joined a team tasked with securing the grounds and prevent squatters from moving in.

"We had good working relations with the Chinese, but the salaries were low," said Mismari who is now paid by the NTC.

"When calm returns to Libya, the Chinese will come back. I am sure of it," he said.




Related Links
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com

.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
...
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries






. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle



ENERGY TECH
China says will not use force in sea disputes
Beijing (AFP) June 14, 2011
China on Tuesday pledged not to resort to the use of force in the tense South China Sea, as neighbours with rival border claims stepped up their complaints over Beijing's assertive maritime posture. Beijing called for more dialogue to resolve the long-standing territorial disputes in the area after the Philippines sought help from the United States and Vietnam staged live-fire military exerc ... read more


ENERGY TECH
Seoul deploys second Aegis destroyer

Russia says NATO not listening on missile shield

NATO chief rejects Russia's missile defence proposal

Russia softens stance on missile defence: report

ENERGY TECH
India tests nuclear-capable missile

MBDA Qualifies the New Naval Version of the Marte MK2 Missile

JAGM Tri-Mode Seeker Demonstrated Against Moving Sea Targets

Raytheon-Boeing Team Responds to Warfighter's Call for Joint Air-To-Ground Missile

ENERGY TECH
Heron One achieves full operational capability in ISAF mission

Elbit to Supply a Latin-American Country with Hermes 900 UAS

AeroVironment Receives New Orders for Digital Raven Systems

NMSU stages successful UAV test over Hatch

ENERGY TECH
Indra To Supply Satellite Communications Systems To Brazil's MoD

Lockheed system proves its worth

Intelsat General To Support Armed Forces Radio And Television Service

Northrop Grumman Awarded Continuing Operation of Battlefield Airborne Communications Node Contract

ENERGY TECH
MBDA Produces 10,000th Diamond Back Wing for SDB Program

Advanced Firefinder Radar System Supporting US Troops

Otokar Awarded Contract for ARMA 6x6

BAE Delivers 20,000th Warning Sensor to Protect Military Aircraft

ENERGY TECH
Saudis mount cleanup amid defense scandal

LockMart Receives Contract For Vehicle-Mounted And Portable Sensor Systems

Boeing Leads Team to Pursue USAF Launch Range Consolidation Contract

US lawsuit alleges Blackwater failed to pay benefits

ENERGY TECH
Rule of law index finds faults in China, Russia, US

Russia protests arrival of US Navy cruiser in Black Sea

NATO, Russian jets hold first ever joint exercise

Ban Ki-moon reelection campaign gathers pace

ENERGY TECH
MLD Test Moves Navy A Step Closer To Lasers For Ship Self-Defense

US Navy And Northrop Grumman Accomplish Goals For At-Sea Demonstration Of Maritime Laser


Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News
.

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement