Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .




TRADE WARS
Fund in Argentine ship row offers to repatriate some sailors
by Staff Writers
Accra (AFP) Oct 19, 2012


A fund whose court claims have led to the seizure of an Argentine warship in Ghana has offered to repatriate its stranded sailors who are "of other nationalities," according to a letter obtained by AFP Friday.

A source familiar with the case said on condition of anonymity that the offer applied only to non-Argentine crew members.

The crew includes some 200 members. Most of them are Argentines, but they also include eight from Uruguay, 15 from Chile and one each from Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, Suriname, Peru, South Africa and Venezuela.

"In further, specific reference to the issue concerning the sailors of other nationalities on the vessel, our client instructs that it does not intend to inconvenience them in any way," the letter signed by the fund's lawyer Ace Ankomah says.

"Thus, even in the absence of the bond, NML Capital Limited is willing, effectively immediately, to bear all expenses to fly any sailor to his or her respective home country."

The letter dated October 15 and addressed to the lawyer representing Argentina in Ghana says NML is willing to pay for the sailors' return if Buenos Aires declines to pay a bond of $20 million to release the ship.

A copy of the letter provided a different version than Ankomah gave in an interview earlier in the day, having signaled that the fund was willing to repatriate all stranded sailors.

The seizure of the three-masted stately ship on October 2 has caused controversy in Argentina.

The head of Argentina's military intelligence resigned Thursday in the wake of the seizure, a source said. His resignation followed that of the commander of the Argentine navy, Carlos Alberto Paz, on Monday.

Argentina's government has also punished two high-ranking naval officers over the decision to have the ARA Libertad and its crew stop over at the port.

The boat, which went to the West African nation for a training mission, was seized by port officials in Tema under a court order secured by the Cayman Islands investment group that claims Buenos Aires owes it more than $370 million (283 million euros).

In an effort to defuse the crisis, a delegation consisting of Deputy Defense Secretary Alfredo Forti and Deputy Foreign Minister Eduardo Zuain was sent to Ghana.

Details of discussions with the Ghanaian government have however not been made clear, and Ankomah said NML was not involved in the meetings.

Ankomah has previously said the Libertad could be released "tomorrow" if Argentina posts a bond of $20 million.

The ship's crew is mostly Argentinian, with a smattering of nationals from elsewhere in South America and at least one South African on board, the Argentinian navy has said.

Chile has also said it planned to send envoys to Ghana, with 15 Chilean sailors among the crew.

NML Capital -- a so-called "vulture fund" -- bought Argentine bonds at a discount when the country's economy was in freefall in 2000. Buenos Aires later defaulted.

The country has rescheduled and refinanced much of its debt, but bonds held by speculative funds are among Argentina's unsettled business.

While the courts have barred the Libertad from leaving, the crew can come and go from the warship as they please.

They have passed the time visiting a nearby mall and a resort hotel as well as by playing football, among other activities.

.


Related Links
Global Trade News






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








TRADE WARS
Safety still concern at Zambia's Chinese-owned mines
Stellenbosch, South Africa (AFP) Oct 19, 2012
Work conditions at Zambia's Chinese-owned copper mines have improved, but the Asian giant's labour record is still clouding its sizeable investments into the country, Human Rights Watch said Friday. The government-owned China Non-Ferrous Metals Mining Corporation (CNMC) has poured cash into Zambia and created jobs but was accused of poor practices in a damning report released by the watchdog ... read more


TRADE WARS
Jacobs supports Patriot Excalibur system

Russia prepares a response to US missile defence plans

Northrop Grumman Completes SBIRS HEO-3 Payload Integration and Ambient Functional Test

Report: Funding for Iron Dome could be cut

TRADE WARS
Full production for German army missile

Raytheon awarded $349 million US Army contract for TOW missiles

UN's Ban alarmed by North Korea missile claim

Raytheon awarded US Army contract for TOW missiles

TRADE WARS
Innocon selects Imint's Vidhance video enhancement engine and video tracker for its small unmanned aerial vehicles

Venezuela serious about producing drones

Israel unveils Flying Elephant, other UAVs

Israel's IAI 'wins $958M India drone deal'

TRADE WARS
$15M order for Harris tactical radios

SPAWAR Atlantic taps Engility

Northrop Grumman Begins Production of EHF SatCom System for B-2 Bomb

Mutualink Selects Benchmark to Manufacture Interoperable Communications Systems on Global Scale

TRADE WARS
Australia opts for more towed howitzers

Raytheon awarded $45 million MK 54 torpedo contract

Raytheon UK awarded a 15-year logistic support contract by NATS

Lockheed Martin Modernizes Distributed Common Ground System Imagery Testbed

TRADE WARS
Putin slams dictation to Russia on arms trade

China leads rise in Asia military spending: study

Britain to investigate military 'cash for access' claims

EADS/BAE deal collapse a setback, mergers still needed: analysts

TRADE WARS
50 years after war India chafes over defeat to China

Van Rompuy wants all EU leaders to collect Nobel Peace Prize

US views harden on China, Iran ahead of election: poll

Philippines, China hold talks amid maritime row

TRADE WARS
University of Florida chemists pioneer new technique for nanostructure assembly

New Techniques Stretch Carbon Nanotubes, Make Stronger Composites

New Way to Prevent Cracking in Nanoparticle Films

Queen's develops new environmentally friendly MOF production method




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement