. Military Space News .
SHAKE AND BLOW
Hurricane Ian strengthens to Category 4 as it barrels toward Florida
by AFP Staff Writers
Tampa (AFP) Sept 28, 2022

Hurricane Ian strengthened to a Category 4 storm as it headed towards the US state of Florida on Wednesday, with forecasters warning of life-threatening storm surges and "devastating" winds after it reportedly killed two and left millions without power in Cuba.

As of 5 am (0900 GMT), mandatory evacuation orders had been issued in a dozen coastal Florida counties, with voluntary evacuation recommended in several others, according to the state's emergency officials.

In an advisory issued around the same time, the US National Hurricane Center (NHC) said "Ian has strengthened into an extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane."

"Very recent data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased to near 140 mph (220 km/h) with higher gusts," the NHC said.

The storm was expected to make landfall later on Wednesday before moving across central Florida and emerging in the western Atlantic by late Thursday.

The NHC said earlier that a "life-threatening storm surge is expected along the Florida west coast and the Lower Florida Keys," with "devastating wind damage" expected near Ian's core.

"Catastrophic flooding is expected across portions of central Florida with considerable flooding in southern Florida, northern Florida, southeastern Georgia and coastal South Carolina," it said.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said on Tuesday night that there had already been at least two "radar-indicated tornadoes" in the state, and warned those in areas projected to be hit hardest that their "time to evacuate is coming to an end."

"You need to evacuate now. You're going to start feeling major impacts of this storm relatively soon," he said.

Calls to heed evacuation warnings were echoed by US President Joe Biden, who earlier said Ian "could be a very severe hurricane, life-threatening and devastating in its impact."

White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Biden had spoken with DeSantis -- a potential 2024 election challenger -- on Tuesday evening to discuss preparations for the storm.

- Widespread blackout -

Ian plunged all of Cuba into darkness on Tuesday after battering the country's west as a Category 3 for more than five hours before moving back out over the Gulf of Mexico, the Insmet meteorological institute said.

The storm damaged Cuba's power network and left the island "without electrical service," state electricity company Union Electrica said.

Only the few people with gasoline-powered generators had access to electricity on the island of more than 11 million people. Others had to make do with flashlights or candles at home, and lit their way with cell phones as they walked the streets.

In the western city of Pinar del Rio, AFP footage showed downed power lines, flooded streets and a scattering of damaged rooftops.

"Desolation and destruction. These are terrifying hours. Nothing is left here," a 70-year-old resident of the city was quoted as saying in a social media post by his journalist son, Lazaro Manuel Alonso.

About 40,000 people were evacuated across Pinar del Rio province, which bore the brunt of the storm, local authorities said.

- Two dead -

Cuban residents described "destruction" and posted images on social media of flooded streets and felled trees.

At the time of impact, the NHC reported Ian's maximum wind speeds at 125 miles (205 kilometers) per hour.

At least two people have been reported dead in Pinar del Rio province, according to Cuban state media.

In Consolacion del Sur, southwest of Havana, 65-year-old Caridad Fernandez said her roof was seriously damaged and water came through her front door.

"Everything we have is damaged," she said. "But we'll get through this, we'll just keep moving forwards."

In San Juan y Martinez, a hub for Cuba's vital cigar industry, "it was apocalyptic, a real disaster," said Hirochi Robaina from the Robaina tobacco plantation.

- 'Life and death' -

In Florida, 30-year-old Chelsea Thompson was helping her parents board up their home on Tuesday in a mandatory evacuation zone southwest of Tampa, saying that "the closer it gets, obviously with the unknown, your anxiety gets a little higher."

The Pentagon said 3,200 national guardsmen had been called up in Florida, with another 1,800 on the way.

Authorities in several municipalities were distributing free sandbags to help residents protect their homes from flooding.

Tampa International Airport suspended operations from Tuesday at 5 pm.

Biden has preemptively approved emergency aid in Florida through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

NASA, on the state's east coast, also took precautions, rolling back its massive Moon rocket into a storage hanger for protection.

Like DeSantis, FEMA administrator Deanne Criswell highlighted the danger of storm surge, saying it was the agency's "biggest concern."

"If people are told to evacuate by their local officials, please listen to them. The decision you choose to make may be the difference between life and death," she said.


Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The Space Media Network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceMediaNetwork Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceMediaNetwork Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


SHAKE AND BLOW
Hurricane Ian hits Cuba as Cat 3 storm; Vietnam evacuates ahead of Typhoon Noru
Havana (AFP) Sept 27, 2022
Hurricane Ian made landfall in western Cuba early Tuesday, with the Caribbean nation and the US state of Florida ramping up preparations for high winds and potential flooding. About 50,000 people in Cuba's western Pinar del Rio province moved to safer locations, 6,000 of them to state-run shelters and the rest to the homes of relatives and friends, local authorities said. "Ian is already over Cuban territory," said a meteorologist from the institute in a special broadcast on state television. "T ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

SHAKE AND BLOW
Lockheed Martin's next gen interceptor achieves communications testing milestone

ULA launches missile warning satellite for US Space Force

US OKs $5 bn sale of missile defense systems to Saudi, UAE

MDA selects NC and Raytheon to further develop Glide Phase Interceptor prototype

SHAKE AND BLOW
India sacks officers over Pakistan missile misfire

Japan mulls long-range missile upgrades due to China threat: report

Russia deploys hypersonic missiles to Kaliningrad

Northrop Grumman identifies modern threats during advanced missile flight test

SHAKE AND BLOW
Northrop Grumman unveils first Australian MQ-4C Triton

GMV wins the contract for the EURODRONE flight control Computer

US sanctions Iranian company that shipped drones to Russia

ISS Aerospace unveils the Sensus 8 multimodal autonomous UAS

SHAKE AND BLOW
Northrop Grumman and Cubic demonstrate JADC2 connectivity

SciTec awarded US Space Force contract for mission data processing application provider

Airbus to provide satellite communications for Armed Forces of Czech Republic and the Netherlands

Lockheed Martin, AT&T demonstrate 5G high speed transfer of Black Hawk data to 5G.MIL Pilot Network

SHAKE AND BLOW
In the Ukrainian army, Soviet-era artillery bows out

Germany military must become Europe's 'best equipped': Scholz

Northrop Grumman Australia Team Demonstrates Joint Air Battle Management Systems Stewardship

Slovakia buys armoured vehicles from Finland

SHAKE AND BLOW
N. Korea denies exporting weapons to Russia

Cyprus welcomes 'landmark' US lifting of arms embargo

Western arms production to ramp up as Ukraine burns through stockpiles

Austrian arms lobbyist convicted of money laundering

SHAKE AND BLOW
China calls for 'ceasefire through dialogue' following Putin address on Ukraine

Biden warns China and Russia, hedges on seeking reelection

Xi, Putin look to challenge world order at regional summit

Putin, Xi hail 'great power' ties at talks defying West

SHAKE AND BLOW
Physicists generate new nanoscale spin waves

'Naturally insulating' material emits pulses of superfluorescent light at room temperature

Making nanodiamonds out of bottle plastic

Towards stable, sustained Raman imaging of large samples at the nanoscale









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.