. Military Space News .




.
ENERGY TECH
Timing of US military exercises 'inappropriate': China
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) July 11, 2011

China's top military officer on Monday called the timing of American naval exercises in the sensitive South China Sea "inappropriate", after holding talks with his US counterpart in Beijing.

Chen Bingde also urged the United States to be "more modest and prudent in words and deeds", amid growing tensions over China's territorial claims in the strategic and potentially resource-rich South China Sea.

"On various occasions, the US side has expressed that it does not have the intention to intervene in the disputes in the South China Sea," Chen told reporters after meeting Admiral Mike Mullen.

"However, we are observing the latest joint exercises between the US and other countries for example the Philippines and Vietnam.

"We acknowledge that those exercises were there in the past, however the timing of these joint exercises is inappropriate as we see it."

Vietnam and the United States are to hold joint naval activities this month, but the US Navy has said these were long-planned and are unconnected to recent tensions.

The Philippines recently finished 11 days of naval exercises with the United States close to the South China Sea, although both sides also emphasised the event was an annual one aimed at deepening defence ties.

Mullen is the first chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff to visit China since 2007 and his trip comes as military ties between the two powers are tested by Beijing's growing assertiveness in the South China Sea.

Speaking after the pair met on Monday, Chen said they had "found a lot of common ground", but that there were still "different opinions on certain issues."

"I sincerely and truly hope that our American friends will understand the underlying logic, and be more modest and prudent in words and deeds," he added.

"The key to developing healthy, stable and reliable military relations is mutual trust, and the pre-condition is mutual respect."

Beijing's recent assertiveness over territorial claims in the South China Sea has raised tensions with neighbouring countries that Washington fears could spiral dangerously out of control.

China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan have overlapping claims to parts of the South China Sea, which is believed to have vast oil and gas deposits, while its shipping lanes are vital for global trade.

Vietnam and the Philippines have in recent months accused China of taking increasingly aggressive actions in staking its claims in the disputed waters and its archipelagos.

In response, China has insisted it wants to resolve territorial disputes peacefully but remains firm in its claims to most of the South China Sea, even waters within the Philippines' economic exclusion zone.

Speaking to reporters after arriving in Beijing on Sunday, Mullen said Washington was concerned about freedom of navigation, but expressed hope that the myriad disputes would be "resolved peacefully".

Mullen was also due to hold talks Monday with China's vice president Xi Jinping, who is widely expected to take over as president next year.




Related Links
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com

.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
...
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries


Philippines wants UN body to broker China dispute
Manila (AFP) July 11, 2011 - The Philippines said Monday that it had urged China to bring their conflicting claims to the South China Sea before a United Nations-backed tribunal.

Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said he called for their dispute to go before the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea in his meetings last week with senior Chinese officials, but he received no clear reply.

"The Philippines is prepared to defend its position in accordance with international law, consistent with UNCLOS, and we asked them if they will be willing to do the same," del Rosario told reporters.

Del Rosario recalled that China had previously stressed that it wanted the South China Sea dispute to be "discussed by claimants and not in international forums".

"I don't think their position has changed," he said.

The International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea is an independent judicial body established by UNCLOS, the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, to handle disputes under that convention.

Del Rosario said that during his meetings, he pointed out that the Philippines' claim over parts of the South China Sea, including the Spratly islands, were "based on international law, specifically UNCLOS".

Chinese officials however said their claims were based on "historic rights," the secretary said.

Del Rosario met Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping and Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi in his visit to Beijing last week.

The Philippines and Vietnam have in recent months accused China of taking increasingly aggressive actions in staking its claims in the disputed waters, including an incident where the Chinese allegedly fired on Filipino fishermen.

China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan have overlapping claims to parts of the South China Sea, which are believed to hold vast mineral resources.

In April, the Philippines lodged a formal protest at the United Nations over China's claims.





. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle



ENERGY TECH
China's top general criticises US exercises
Beijing (AFP) July 11, 2011
China's top military officer said Monday the timing of US naval exercises in the South China Sea was "inappropriate," after talks with his American counterpart aimed at cooling the territorial dispute. General Chen Bingde urged the United States to be "more modest and prudent in words and deeds", amid growing tensions over China's claims in the strategic and potentially resource-rich region. ... read more


ENERGY TECH
New Missile Warning Satellite Delivers First Infrared Imagery

STSS Demonstration Satellites Demo New Remote Cueing Capabilities During Aegis Test

Israel to join U.S. Mideast missile shield

Raytheon gets $1.7 billion Patriot deal

ENERGY TECH
Northrop Grumman-Led ICBM Prime Integration Team Participates in Test Launch of Minuteman III Missile

Taiwan testfires own sub-launched missile: report

Raytheon UK Awarded Four-Year Support Contract for U.K. Paveway

Iran fires medium-range missile in war game

ENERGY TECH
Unmanned Global Hawk Completes First Production Acceptance Multi-Intelligence Sensor Flight

Northrop Grumman to Help US Navy Study Options for Developing Fleet of Carrier-Launched Unmanned Systems

X-47B Can Operate From an Aircraft Carrier

Flapping micro air vehicles inspired by swifts

ENERGY TECH
Raytheon Wins Competitive Long Term Evolution Broadband Communications Network Contract

Battlefield Airborne Communications Node System Completes 2,000 Tactical Missions

Track24 Defence releases SCC Titan

US Army Builds and Tests Future Network During NIE Exercise

ENERGY TECH
F-35 Jet Blast Deflector Testing Underway at Lakehurst

Lockheed Martin Achieves Significant Information Technology Services Milestone

Lockheed Martin Delivers First VNsight Sensor to the US Army

Boeing Awarded B-1B Bomber Upgrade Contract

ENERGY TECH
Merkel defends silence on reported Saudi tank deal

South African arms exports soar

Russian defense ministry scandal worsens

Israel trusts Germany over secret Saudi tank deal: minister

ENERGY TECH
Hopeful Dalai Lama welcomes young monk to US

EU defence ambitions stuck in no-man's land

US lawmakers rally behind Dalai Lama

Vatican's ties with Beijing suffer fresh setback

ENERGY TECH
System Integration of High Energy Laser Technology Demonstrator Completed

Raytheon Acquires Directed Energy Capabilities of Ktech Corporation


Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News
.

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement