. Military Space News .
NUKEWARS
US, Iranian leaders push nuclear talks

by Staff Writers
United Nations (AFP) Sept 24, 2010
US and Iranian leaders on Thursday signaled a new desire to revive talks to end the standoff over Tehran's nuclear aims, despite a US-led protest against Iran's president at the United Nations.

In separate speeches at the UN General Assembly, Presidents Barack Obama and Mahmud Ahmadinejad said their governments were prepared for such talks, four months after Washington obtained harsh new UN sanctions against Tehran.

In an interview, Ahmadinejad said the talks would likely begin in October.

Despite the positive tone on the nuclear front, however, Ahmadinejad infuriated the United States when he suggested the US government was involved in the September 11 attacks. The US delegation then led a Western walkout of the assembly.

The Iranian president said there was a theory that "some segments within the US government orchestrated the attack to reverse the declining American economy and its grips on the Middle East in order also to save the Zionist regime."

Ahmadinejad also attacked Israel and accused the West of monopolizing nuclear power.

Obama, who gave his speech before Ahmadinejad, "found the comments to be outrageous and offensive, particularly given how close we are to Ground Zero," a US official said on condition of anonymity.

In his own speech, Obama sounded positive but cautious about Iran's nuclear program.

"Let me be clear once more: the United States and the international community seek a resolution to our differences with Iran, and the door remains open to diplomacy should Iran choose to walk through it," Obama said.

"But the Iranian government must demonstrate a clear and credible commitment, and confirm to the world the peaceful intent of its nuclear program," Obama said in a wide-ranging foreign policy speech.

Washington fears Iran's nuclear program masks a drive to build a nuclear weapon, while Iran insists it is for purely peaceful purposes.

In his speech some five hours later, Ahmadinejad said Iran had long been ready for negotiations and dismissed any suggestion it is caving in to pressure.

"We have never submitted to illegally imposed pressures nor will we ever do so. It has been said that they want to pressure Iran into a dialogue," he said.

"Firstly, Iran has always been ready for a dialogue based on respect and justice. Secondly, methods based on disrespecting nations have long become ineffective," the Iranian leader said.

In Tehran, the ISNA news agency quoted Ahmadinejad as saying Iran is likely to hold talks with world powers over its nuclear program in October.

Following a meeting here Wednesday, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her counterparts from Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia called for an "early negotiated solution" to the Iranian nuclear issue.

Two diplomats from the P5-plus-1 -- the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, plus Germany -- said on condition of anonymity that a meeting with Iran could take place this fall in Vienna or in Geneva.

A joint statement said the six powers were "ready to engage with Iran" in the context of implementing a deal agreed in Geneva in October last year under which Iran would give up enriched uranium in exchange for nuclear fuel.

It added that they looked forward to an "early meeting" with Iran and were prepared to discuss a "revised arrangement," apparently because Iran has enriched much more uranium since the earlier offer was made.

Under the deal, Iran would ship most of its low-grade uranium to France and Russia so that it could be enriched further and returned to Iran to fuel a medical research reactor in Tehran.

The deal had been designed to buy time and build confidence while the world community presses Iran to meet its demand to halt uranium enrichment.

But the deal stalled as Iran sought to modify its terms in another agreement that was brokered by Brazil and Turkey, an agreement that Ahmadinejad told the UN assembly "is still valid."

In June, a month after the new deal, the UN Security Council then approved a fourth round of sanctions against the Islamic republic, which in turn said it would suspend talks until September.

In Moscow, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Wednesday signed a decree banning supplies of S-300 missiles and other arms to Iran, in line with the tougher military and financial sanctions adopted in June.

Obama, whose administration spearheaded the drive for the sanctions, claims the sanctions are beginning to bite as Iran shows increasing signs it wants to return to the negotiating table.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


NUKEWARS
Outside View: Iran and attempted coup
Washington (UPI) Sep 23, 2010
Bahrain may be the smallest Arab country but it plays a major role in the overall security of the Persian Gulf region and the Middle East. Among other things Bahrain serves as the regional headquarters to the U.S. Navy fleet operating in the gulf. It may be an island but it is linked to the Saudi Arabian mainland by a 15-mile causeway, taking one straight into the desert kingdom's Easte ... read more







NUKEWARS
Russia, NATO Should Fully Analyze Missile Threat To Europe

Second Generation Aegis BMD Capability Completes Formal Testing

Russian Air-Defense Bases Require Additional Protection

Northrop Grumman to Bid For Missile Defense Objective Simulation Framework

NUKEWARS
Sweden Signs Production Order Contract For Meteor Missile

Russia caving to US pressure in missile sale ban: Iran

Russia missiles to Syria spark Israeli ire

Russia in 300-million-dollar missile deal with Syria: report

NUKEWARS
Boeing Wins DARPA Vulture II Program

US drone strike kills six in northwest Pakistan: officials

EADS Continues Flight Test Campaign Of Barracuda

US drone strikes kill 17 militants in Pakistan

NUKEWARS
Modern infrastructures said 'vulnerable'

MEADS Completes CDR And Is Ready For Flight Test

Airborne Multi-Intelligence Lab Demonstrates Intelligence Integration

Boeing Vigilare Enters Service With RAAF

NUKEWARS
Reaper joins British air force in combat

Russia destroys chemical weapons stockpile

Textron And MDT Armor Team On Tiger Light Armored Vehicle

BAE To Debut New South African-Designed And Developed SD-ROW Turret

NUKEWARS
Russia to unlock major cash for arms

Lockheed gets deal for F-35s

Indonesia Confirms Plans To Buy Six More Su Fighters From Russia

Tough times for Israeli arms dealers

NUKEWARS
China will not buckle on national interests: premier

Lula's press-bashing set to tarnish image

Obama to signal to China at ASEAN summit in New York

Japan's blink in stand-off seen as win for assertive China

NUKEWARS
Boeing Receives Task Order For Design Of Free Electron Laser Lab Demonstrator

Lasers could protect helicopters from harm

New System Developed To Test And Evaluate High-Energy Laser Weapons

Truck-borne laser weapon to be on way soon


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement