. Military Space News .




.
ENERGY TECH
US holds first post-spill Gulf drilling rights sale
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Dec 14, 2011


The US government on Wednesday staged its first auction of rights to drill offshore in the Gulf of Mexico since last year's catastrophic oil spill, attracting more than $337 million in bids.

ConocoPhillips and ExxonMobil led 20 firms that bid in the western Gulf sale 218, which made available 3,913 unleased blocks covering more than 21 million acres -- about the size of the state of South Carolina, the government said.

British oil giant BP -- which leased the rig where an explosion occurred in April 2010, triggering the massive spill -- participated in the sale.

"Todays lease sale, the first since the tragic events of Deepwater Horizon, continues the Obama administrations commitment to a balanced and comprehensive energy plan," said Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, who attended the sale.

"Offshore drilling will never be risk-free, but over the last 19 months we have moved quickly and aggressively with the most significant oil and gas reforms in US history to make it safer and more environmentally responsible.

"Todays sale is another step in ensuring the safe and responsible development of the nations offshore energy resources," Salazar said in a statement.

An explosion at the Deepwater Horizon rig on April 20, 2010, killed 11 people, and the Macondo well gushed oil into the ocean for 87 days, blackening the southern US shoreline and crippling the local tourism and fishing sectors.

By the time the well was capped, 4.9 million barrels (206 million gallons) of oil had spilled out of the runaway well 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.

In October, the US government slapped BP, Transocean -- the Swiss owner and operator of the drilling rig -- and US oil services group Halliburton with citations for violating oil industry regulations in what is expected to lead to massive fines.

BP -- which was ultimately responsible for operations -- has spent more than $40 billion on the disaster and could still be liable for billions in fines, compensation and restoration costs.

Related Links
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com




.
.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
...
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries




Brazil prosecutors want Chevron work shut down
Rio De Janeiro (AFP) Dec 14, 2011 - Prosecutors in Brazil on Wednesday called for a shutdown of Chevron's activities nationwide and said the US oil giant should be fined $11 billion for damage caused by an oil spill last month.

Prosecutors took legal action against Chevron, its Brazilian unit and the contractor Transocean, seeking $11 billion over the spill at a production well at the Frade field, 370 kilometers (230 miles) off Rio de Janeiro state.

In a statement, they pressed for urgent action by federal judges to "suspend all the activities of Chevron" which would have to pay $277 million daily if it failed to comply.

In a statement, Chevron said it had not received "any formal notice" of the court action.

"From the outset, Chevron responded responsibly to the incident at its Frade Field and has dealt transparently with all Brazilian authorities," the company said.

"The flow of oil from the source was stopped within four days and the company continues to make significant progress in containing any residual oil," it said.

"Chevron has also continued to address the surface sheen, which is now less than a single barrel. There have been no coastal or wildlife impacts."

Authorities has already suspended Chevron's drilling operations and denied it access to huge new offshore oil fields, which Brazil's national petroleum agency says have reserves that could surpass 100 billion barrels of high-quality recoverable oil.

Chevron faces a slew of fines from federal and Rio state authorities over the spill that together could exceed $145 million.

The US firm accounts for 3.6 percent of the oil produced in Brazil, or 80,425 barrels a day, and one percent of the natural gas, according to official figures.



.

. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle



ENERGY TECH
Brazil prosecutors want Chevron work shut down
Rio De Janeiro (AFP) Dec 14, 2011
Prosecutors in Brazil on Wednesday called for a shutdown of Chevron's activities nationwide and said the US oil giant should be fined $11 billion for damage caused by an oil spill last month. Prosecutors took legal action against Chevron, its Brazilian unit and the contractor Transocean, seeking $11 billion over the spill at a production well at the Frade field, 370 kilometers (230 miles) of ... read more


ENERGY TECH
NATO, Russia fail to defuse missile defence row

Medvedev to talk missile shield in Prague

Medvedev arrives in Prague for missile shield talks

Russia warns on missile shield as NATO meets

ENERGY TECH
Missile on schedule for 2018 deployment

Raytheon Awarded Contract for NASAMS High-Mobility Launchers for Norway

5,000 surface-to-air missiles secured in Libya: US

Seoul shopping for cruise missiles

ENERGY TECH
We will reverse-engineer US drone: top Iranian MP

US drone now Iran's 'property': defence minister

Obama demands Iran return downed US drone

US drone penetrated 250 km: Iran protest

ENERGY TECH
Satellite Tracking Specialist, Track24, wins Canadian Government Contract

Airman brings space to ground forces

Astrium achieves Initial System Acceptance on Yahsat programme

Northrop Grumman Awarded Microscale Power Conversion Contract

ENERGY TECH
Israel fears F-35 delay, upgrades F-16s

Japan chooses F-35 as mainstay fighter jet: reports

Raytheon Awarded Contract For Advance Thermal Imagers Manufacturing

Plextek picks tracking technology supplier

ENERGY TECH
Once called Blackwater, firm changes name again

Britain says France defence deal intact despite EU row

Austria balks at selling 2nd hand tanks to Canada: report

Top woman at Pentagon to step down: Panetta

ENERGY TECH
Russia may boycott NATO summit: ministry

NATO seeks to mend fences with Russia on missile shield

US denies seeking to 'contain' China

NATO allies meet amid tensions with Russia, Pakistan

ENERGY TECH
Rheinmetall demonstrates laser weapons

LockMart Directed Energy Leader Receives Purdue's Outstanding Aerospace Engineer Award


.

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement