WAR.WIRE
Iranian official says Iran might have stopped uranium enrichment
TEHRAN (AFP) Oct 26, 2003
Iran's foreign ministry spokesman said Sunday that he believed the Islamic republic had physically halted its uranium enrichment activities in line with an accord with Britain, France and Germany on its nuclear programme.

When asked if enrichment had been physically halted following Iran's agreement to suspend its work on the nuclear fuel cycle, foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi replied: "Since we have discussed it, I imagine that it has been done."

On Tuesday, during an unprecedented mission here by the foreign ministers of Britain, France and Germany, the Islamic republic agreed to sign an additional protocol to the NPT that allows tougher checks by the UN's nuclear watchdog.

And just 10 days before the expiry of an International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) deadline for Iran to come clean on its suspect nuclear programme, the country also agreed to make a full declaration of its activities as well as to suspend uranium enrichment.

Iran said it will inform the IAEA of its intention to sign the protocol before the next board meeting on November 20, and has already handed over what it says is a full declaration of past and present nuclear activities.

WAR.WIRE