![]() |
|
Iran says responded to latest US peace proposal Tehran, May 18 (AFP) May 18, 2026 Iran said Monday it had responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the war, adding that diplomatic exchanges continue despite Iranian media reports describing Washington's demands as excessive. Washington and Tehran have been swapping proposals in an effort to end the conflict which the US and Israel launched on February 28, but they have held only a single round of talks despite a fragile ceasefire. "As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to the American side," foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei told a news briefing, adding that exchanges were "continuing through the Pakistani mediator". Baqaei defended Iran's demands, including the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad and the lifting of long-standing sanctions. "The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations," he said. He also defended an Iranian stipulation that the US pay war reparations, describing the conflict as "illegal and baseless". Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said that speaking with the United States in search of a deal was not to be viewed negatively. "Dialogue does not mean surrender. The Islamic Republic of Iran enters into dialogue with dignity, authority, and the preservation of the nation's rights, and will under no circumstances retreat from the legal rights of the people and the country," he wrote on X. "With logic and with all our strength, to the point of sacrificing our lives, we will remain in service of the people and safeguard the interests and dignity of Iran." On the possibility of another military confrontation, Baqaei said Iran was "fully prepared for any eventuality". On Sunday, Iran's Fars news agency said Washington had presented a five-point list, which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States. The US had refused to release "even 25 percent" of Iran's frozen assets or pay any reparations for war damage, Fars said. The report said the US had also made clear it would only cease hostilities when Tehran engages in formal peace negotiations.
It also called for the lifting of all US sanctions on Iran and the release of its assets frozen abroad. On Monday, Iran's Tasnim news agency, citing an unnamed source close to the Iranian negotiating team, said "contrary to previous texts, the Americans agreed in a new text to waive oil sanctions during the negotiation period". Fars said that the Iranian proposal had emphasised that Tehran would continue to manage the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a vital energy conduit which Iran has largely kept closed since the start of the war. On Monday, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA), a new body Iran has set up to manage the Hormuz strait, said it would provide "real-time updates" on X of operations and developments in the waterway. The PGSA account added that "navigation within the designated jurisdictional area of the Strait of Hormuz" required "full coordination" with the authority and that passage without authorisation would be considered illegal. Earlier this month Iranian English-speaking broadcaster Press TV said it constituted a "system to exercise sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz" and that ships passing through the strait were to be sent instructions by email.
"Following the imposition of control over the Strait of Hormuz, Iran, citing its absolute sovereignty over the bed and subsoil of its territorial sea... could declare that all fibre-optic cables passing through the waterway are subject to permits," the ideological arm of Iran's military said in a social media post. Separately on Monday, the IRGC said its forces had struck groups linked to the United States and Israel in the western Iranian province of Kurdistan, near the border with Iraq. In a statement carried by the ISNA news agency, the Guards said groups from "northern Iraq and acting on behalf of the US and the Zionist regime were attempting to smuggle a large shipment of American weapons and ammunition" into Iran. They said the groups were hit in the Iranian city of Baneh in the Kurdistan region. ap-mz-rkh/dc/jfx/rmb |
|
|
|
All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.
|