. Military Space News .
ENERGY NEWS
Foreigners barred from buying Australia's largest energy grid
by Staff Writers
Sydney (AFP) Aug 19, 2016


Australia will block the sale of its largest electricity network to foreigners, the government said Friday, as two Chinese bids for the grid were rejected over national security concerns.

Canberra has become increasingly concerned about the purchase of Australian infrastructure and land by foreigners, and recently banned a sale by the country's biggest private landowner to a Chinese-led consortium.

Treasurer Scott Morrison last week said in a preliminary decision that bids by China's State Grid Corp and Hong Kong's Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings for a 99-year lease on 50.4 percent of Ausgrid -- the electricity grid of its most populous state of New South Wales -- were "contrary to the national interest".

Morrison confirmed the decision on Friday, saying he had "made an order under the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Act prohibiting the proposed acquisition by foreign investors" of Ausgrid under the current proposed lease structure.

"The acquisition by foreign investors under the current proposed structure... of the lease of 50.4 percent of Ausgrid... would be contrary to the national interest," Morrison said in a statement.

The lease of Ausgrid was estimated to raise more than Aus$10 billion (US$7.6 billion) for the New South Wales government to help fund new infrastructure investments in the state, which is home to the nation's biggest city Sydney.

Both Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing's Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings and State Grid Corp already have investments in numerous Australian state energy infrastructure.

Morrison's announcement last week was slammed by Chinese state media, with the official Xinhua news agency calling the latest decision "absurd and almost comical".

The decision came just months after the government introduced tougher rules for the sale of major Australian state-owned infrastructure to private foreign investors after concerns about a 99-year lease for the Port of Darwin to China's Landbridge Group.

Canberra also recently knocked back the sale of the country's biggest private landowner, cattle firm S. Kidman and Co., to a Chinese-led consortium, citing national interest.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The Space Media Network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceMediaNetwork Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceMediaNetwork Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links







Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Previous Report
ENERGY NEWS
Warming climate likely to have 'minor' impact on power plant output
Durham NC (SPX) Aug 18, 2016
Future climate warming will likely cause only minor cuts in energy output at most U.S. coal- or gas-fired power plants, a new Duke University study finds. The study - the first of its kind based on real-world data - rebuts recent modeling-based studies that warn rising temperatures will significantly lower the efficiency of power plants' cooling systems, thereby reducing plants' energy out ... read more


ENERGY NEWS
New SBIRS ground system enters into dedicated operational testing

Lockheed Martin gets $36 million Aegis Ashore missile defense contract

The USAF's Next SBIRS Missile Warning Satellite Ships to Cape Canaveral for October Launch

Lockheed Martin gets $58 million Patriot missile contract modification

ENERGY NEWS
Japan to develop missile as tensions with China mount: report

Raytheon gets $129 million TOW weapon system contract modification

MDA orders ballistic missile targets

S. Korea to deploy Taurus missiles this year

ENERGY NEWS
U.S. Navy deploys Puma drone with precision recovery system

Flying Autonomous Robots: The Future of Air Combat?

US releases redacted drone strike 'playbook'

General Atomics gets $8.8 million Predator upgrade and training contract

ENERGY NEWS
Two ViaSat network encryptors now NSA-certified

GenDyn to improve U.S. Navy digital modular radio

L-3 Communications gets $216 million U.S. Army aircraft contract modification

Raytheon developing next-gen airborne communications

ENERGY NEWS
U.K. launches $1 billion defense technology initiative

Russian Aerospace Forces to receive new aerial bombs: Report

Micro Cooling Device Now Gets Defense, Satellite Systems Up and Running 4x Faster

Lockheed and Elbit to team up on U.K. Challenger 2 tank bid

ENERGY NEWS
State Dept. approves $231 million munitions sale to NATO countries

U.S. delivers $50 million in weapons to Lebanese military

US approves $1.15 bn tank, weapons sale to Saudi

Russia has $4.6B in military exports in 2016

ENERGY NEWS
Turkey police raid companies with alleged links to Gulen

Turkish prosecutors demand two life terms for Gulen

One month after coup bid, Turkey transformed

Turkey seeks arrest of football hero in coup probe

ENERGY NEWS
Quantum dots with impermeable shell: A powerful tool for nanoengineering

Tailored probes for atomic force microscopes

Visible light superlens made from nanobeads

Smarter self-assembly opens new pathways for nanotechnology









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.