Military Space News
WAR REPORT
Israel army 'stretched' as fighting rages on multiple fronts
Israel army 'stretched' as fighting rages on multiple fronts
By Mark ANDERSON
Jerusalem (AFP) June 3, 2024

On the same scorching day last month, Israeli troops fought street battles with Hamas militants in Gaza, its fighter jets struck Hezbollah targets in Lebanon and soldiers exchanged fire with Palestinian militants in the occupied West Bank.

As the war in the Gaza Strip nears its ninth month, Israel's military is getting pulled deeper into conflicts on multiple fronts and risks becoming overstretched, analysts told AFP.

"The Israeli military is stretched to the point right now where it's operating in Gaza and in the north and in the West Bank -- and that is having a strain on its capabilities," Rami Dajani, an expert on Israel and the Palestinian territories at the International Crisis Group (ICG), told AFP.

Israel's army is one of the world's best-funded militaries but it relies on reservists for much of its fighting force.

According to the Gaza War Unit Tracker, an account on social media platform X, nearly all of Israel's 15,000 active duty combat soldiers are currently engaged in fighting.

About 10,000 of them were deployed in and around Gaza, 2,500 stationed in northern border areas and 2,500 in the West Bank, the owner of the account told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Israel also has as many as 26,000 reservists currently mobilised in active combat roles, with most of them deployed in the West Bank, the account's owner said.

The Israeli army declined to comment on the specific numbers of its forces.

- 'Failed strategy' -

In Gaza, the Israeli army has avoided occupying large swathes of territory in favour of controlling strategic areas, such as the Philadelphi corridor along the border with Egypt which it seized last week.

But analysts say the resurgence of fighting in parts of northern Gaza where the military said months ago Hamas had been neutralised shows the strategy has failed.

"Since January or February, Israel has pursued a strategy of surgical, limited operations, instead of staying in the territory," said Michael Milshtein, head of the Palestinian Studies Forum at Tel Aviv University.

"This whole strategy has failed."

The Gaza war was sparked by Hamas's unprecedented October 7 attack on southern Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,190 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli official figures.

Militants also took some 250 hostages, 120 of whom remain in Gaza, including 37 the army says are dead.

At least 36,479 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been killed in the Gaza Strip in Israeli bombardments and ground offensive since October 7, according to the territory's health ministry.

- Hezbollah question -

Simmering tensions with Iran-backed Hezbollah along Israel's northern border with Lebanon also have analysts wondering if another full-scale war could be imminent.

"Most of the attention and the efforts are right now concentrated in the south -- but there is a big question mark about the north," said Milshtein.

Israeli army chief Herzi Halevi told troops stationed on the northern border last month that the military was preparing for an "offensive" there.

Shlomo Brom, a senior researcher at the Institute for National Security Studies (INSS) in Tel Aviv, said: "It's a possibility that ground troops will enter Lebanon and try to create a kind of security zone that at least will push away the Hezbollah fighters."

Israel's army has carried out nearly 4,900 attacks in southern Lebanon since October 7, according to the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project.

ACLED said Hezbollah has launched about 1,100 attacks on Israeli positions inside Israel as well as territories it has occupied in Lebanon over the same period.

- 'Brewing crisis' -

With its forces distracted on other fronts, analysts say the military faces a brewing crisis in the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since 1967.

"Gaza, of course, is the big priority right now. But we risk losing sight of a potentially brewing crisis in the West Bank," said Dajani of ICG.

The army provides protection to about 490,000 Israelis who live across the West Bank in settlements that are considered illegal under international law.

ACLED has reported 1,120 violent incidents involving Israeli forces and 39 Palestinian armed groups in the West Bank since October 7.

Analysts say Palestinians are increasingly frustrated at the lack of protection they receive against Israeli settlers posing a risk of violence.

According to Palestinian officials, at least 521 Palestinians have been killed in the West Bank by Israeli troops or settlers since the start of the Gaza war.

Attacks by Palestinians have killed at least 14 Israelis in the West Bank over the same period, according to an AFP tally of Israeli official figures.

If Israel's army needs to deploy more troops it will likely have to call up additional reservists -- Israelis who have already completed mandatory military service and remain in the reserves until age 40.

With public anger mounting at Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's failure to bring Israeli hostages home or declare a plan for post-war Gaza, convincing reservists to serve multiple times could become a difficult prospect.

"Right now many people -- I think maybe even the majority -- they feel that there is no strategy," said Milshtein of Tel Aviv University.

mca/jd/fz

X

Related Links
Space War News

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
WAR REPORT
Orban says Hungary being 'dragged into war' as in WWII
Budapest (AFP) May 31, 2024
Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Friday accused NATO of "dragging" his country into war over Ukraine, comparing it to how he said Adolf Hitler pressured it into joining in World War II. Orban has drawn fierce criticism from Western nations for refusing to send weapons to Kyiv to help it fight off Russia's invasion, advocating peace talks with Moscow instead. He is the only EU leader to have maintained close ties with the Kremlin following the invasion. The nationalist leader has step ... read more

WAR REPORT
Poland, Greece call for EU to create 'air defence shield'

Pac-3 MSE launched With Aegis Weapon System hits target

Ukraine says allies can down Russian missiles over its territory

Japan, US sign agreement to develop hypersonic missile interceptor

WAR REPORT
Russian missiles and drones target Ukrainian energy sites

US says Russia using N. Korea missiles in Ukraine

Biden lets Ukraine use US arms inside Russia

N. Korea fires multiple short-range ballistic missiles

WAR REPORT
U.S. Treasury issues sanctions against Iranian drone producers

EU sanctions Iran's defence minister, IRGC over drones, missiles

US military says it destroyed Huthi drone, missiles in Red Sea

Huthis launch fresh drone, missile attacks from Yemen: US

WAR REPORT
EchoStar secures contract to provide 5G to US Navy and agencies

China launches communication test satellites into medium-Earth orbit

CesiumAstro provides multi-beam Ka-band payloads for Rocket Lab under Tranche 2 contract

Rocket Lab Advances SDA Satellite Program with New Subcontractor Partnerships

WAR REPORT
NATO chief seeks 'at least' 40 bn euros a year in Ukraine aid

Blinken says US to keep adapting to Ukraine military needs

Ukraine to get up to 100,000 shells in June: Czech official

Blinken says Ukraine allies will 'adjust and adapt' weapons

WAR REPORT
France bans Israel firms from upcoming defence fair

Lithuanian president wants to up defence spending to 3.5% of GDP

Japan and S. Korea announce sanctions over Russia, N. Korea arms deals

Russia arrests two more top defence officials

WAR REPORT
China defence minister says Beijing needs more military exchanges with US

Austin praises 'new era of security' in Asia-Pacific

Blinken says NATO to respond to rising Russian hybrid attacks

Secretary of State Antony Blinken pledges U.S. support in trip to Moldova

WAR REPORT
Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.