SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Malian and 'white' soldiers involved in 33 civilian deaths: UN experts
United Nations, United States, Aug 5 (AFP) Aug 05, 2022
The Malian army and "white-skinned soldiers" were involved in the deaths of 33 civilians, according to an expert report to the UN seen by AFP Friday.

The bodies of 29 Mauritanians and four Malians were found near the village of Robinet El Ataye in the Segou region, where 33 civilians had been beaten and taken away on March 5, a Panel of Experts on Mali said in a report to the UN Security Council late last month.

A diplomatic source in New York told AFP that the white soldiers were paramilitaries of Russia's Wagner group.

The civilians' disappearance stoked friction between Mali and Mauritania at the time.

Nouakchott accused the Malian army of "recurrent criminal acts" against Mauritanian citizens in the border region. Bamako said there was no proof its army was involved.

The two countries in mid-March launched a joint investigation but its results had not yet been published as of early August.

Western countries say Russian paramilitaries in Mali are mercenaries from the controversial Wagner group while Bamako describes them as "instructors" for its security forces.

The Malian army has conducted numerous military operations to "hunt down" jihadist groups in the Segou and Mopti regions of central Mali since the beginning of the year.

Its soldiers have been accused of abuses on several occasions by NGOs.


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
NASA discovers third interstellar comet
Red, white and blue on the Red Planet
Growing evidence for evolving Dark Energy could inspire a new model of the Universe

24/7 Energy News Coverage
Bezos-backed methane-tracking satellite lost in space
Blackout at refinery highlights Venezuela's oil industry crisis
Meta spending big on AI talent but will it pay off?

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
China launches international association to boost global access to deep space research
Planet secures 240 million euro satellite services contract with German government
Planet expands defense partnerships with key AI surveillance contracts

24/7 News Coverage
Consortium plans global shift toward net negative carbon economy
Six satellites launched for ICEYE as constellation expansion gains momentum
WHO says all Covid-19 origin theories still open, after inconclusive study



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.