Military Space News
WAR REPORT
Israel agrees to latest U.S. proposal for cease-fire with Hamas
Israel agrees to latest U.S. proposal for cease-fire with Hamas
by Adam Schrader
Washington DC (UPI) Jul 2, 2025

Israel has agreed to a U.S. proposal for a temporary cease-fire with Hamas after reneging on a previous path for peace earlier this year, Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar reportedly confirmed Wednesday.

Saar, while speaking at a press briefing on a state visit to Estonia, responded to remarks President Donald Trump made on his Truth Social platform earlier in the day, revealing that Israel had agreed to a new cease-fire plan put forth by Steve Witkoff, the president's Middle East envoy, NBC News reported.

"We are serious in our will to reach a hostage deal and a cease-fire," Saar said. "We said yes to Special Envoy Witkoff's proposals." Few details of the agreement have been published, but Trump said that Israel had agreed to "necessary conditions to finalize the 60 Day CEASEFIRE, during which time we will work with all parties to end the War."

Hamas and Israel had reached and signed an agreement in January that outlined three phases for a path to a permanent ceasefire. The first phase, which ended at the beginning of March, saw Israel and Hamas release swaths of captives, the permitting of some humanitarian aid and the withdrawal of some Israeli forces from Gaza.

Before the second phase could begin, Israel proposed an extension and modification of the agreement to seek the release of captives held by Hamas before committing to the second phase and expressing security concerns about a full withdrawal of troops, while also hoping to reshape the future governance of Gaza.

Hamas rejected Israel's modifications to the deal and the cease-fire collapsed on March 18 when Israel broke the truce and launched a surprise massive airstrike and artillery campaign. Since then, talks toward a new cease-fire agreement have been unsuccessful as Trump seeks an end to the hostilities.

"We are dealing with high responsibility and conducting national consultations to discuss what we received from the proposals of the mediators in order to reach an agreement that guarantees ending the aggression, achieving withdrawal and providing urgent relief to our people in the Gaza Strip," Hamas said in a statement Wednesday.

But an official from an Arab country mediating the cease-fire told the Times of Israel on Wednesday that there are still "major hurdles" to overcome before a ceasefire can be reached. And a Palestinian official familiar with Hamas' negotiations told the BBC that the latest proposal made no significant changes to a proposal Hamas rejected in June.

The news came after the Gaza Health Ministry announced in a daily update Wednesday that 6,454 Palestinians had been killed and another 22,551 have been injured since the cease-fire plan fell apart in March. In total, some 57,012 people have been killed and another 134,592 have been injured throughout the war.

Related Links
Space War News

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
WAR REPORT
Trump says Israel has agreed to 60-day Gaza cease-fire
Washington DC (UPI) Jul 1, 2025
Israel has agreed to the "necessary conditions" for a 60-day cease-fire in order to negotiate an end to the war in Gaza, President Donald Trump announced Tuesday night. The president revealed, in a post on Truth Social, that his administration had just wrapped up a long meeting. "My representatives had a long and productive meeting with the Israelis today on Gaza. Israel has agreed to the necessary conditions to finalize the 60-day cease-fire, during which time we will work with all part ... read more

WAR REPORT
York deploys Dragoon satellite to bolster SDA missile alert and tactical link goals

NATO partners with Planet Labs to boost global surveillance and early warning capability

Trump 'Golden Dome' plan tricky and expensive: experts

Trump's Golden Dome rethinks defense against long-range threats

WAR REPORT
Germany considering buying US air defence systems for Ukraine

Zelensky says discussed buying US air-defence systems with Trump

Sweden acquires German air defence systems for $930 mn

Israel power supplier reports damage near 'strategic' facility in south

WAR REPORT
Ukraine says Russia launched largest drone, missile attack of war

Canada turns to drones for reforestation after wildfires

First SIRTAP tactical drone prototype completes assembly ahead of ground trials

Chinese journalist hurt by Ukrainian drone attack in Russia: network

WAR REPORT
Quantum Secure Space Tech Partnership Launched by Space TS and Synergy Quantum

Eutelsat to Deliver Low Orbit Satellite Services Under New French Defense Agreement

France finds cash for 'strategic asset' satellite firm Eutelsat

Skynet 6A military satellite advances with successful module integration

WAR REPORT
Finnish MPs approve withdrawal from anti-mine treaty

Use of US bunker-buster bomb looms over Iran conflict

B61-13 gravity bomb reaches first production milestone ahead of projected timeline

NATO learns as Ukraine's 'creativity' changes battlefield

WAR REPORT
US halting some shipments of military aid to Ukraine

Turkey-US arms spat likely to be settled 'by year's end': US envoy

Top Chinese military official under corruption probe removed from office

German police probe possible Russian sabotage after army trucks torched

WAR REPORT
U.S. halts some weapons shipments to Ukraine over stockpile concerns

Ecuador's Noboa plans referendum to reopen U.S. military base in Manta

Celebrations for Dalai Lama's 90th reflect challenges ahead

Trump: No progress made on Ukraine war cease-fire in call with Putin

WAR REPORT
Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.